What It Takes To Become An Ironman

First, normal people do not want to become an Ironman. And I was normal, once.  (But that changed. (Eventually.)) A couple of years ago, when I started doing sprint triathlons and Olympic triathlons, I did not want to do an Ironman. I did not think it would be possible for me to ever do one.

But you warm to the idea. Slowly. After a couple of Olympic triathlons you think: I can do an Ironman 70.3. And after you ride that particular dragon, your blood really starts flowing. Next thing you know, you’re on your way to a 140.6 mile race.

That’s the typical progression. Some people may have grand aspirations and spontaneously decide to do an Ironman, but the vast majority of people work their way up the triathlon ladder. For me, it took almost four years. The first three, I did not want to do an Ironman.

Second, regardless of your fitness level, becoming an Ironman is a daunting, time-consuming, and very thankless process. In terms of training hours, from Week 1 through Week 24, my beginner-level program resulted in: 60.25hrs of swimming, 77.5hrs of running, and 109.25hrs of biking. For a total of: 247hrs of traditional training.

In addition to the swim / bike / run hours, there were some (but not enough!) strength and conditioning hours that I neglected to record. I spent several hours per week stretching, rolling, compressing, elevating, and doing sauna/cold dip therapy to recover. Call that 2.5hrs per week for an added 60hrs. And there is no precise way to know how much time I spent driving/preparing for training, but 5hrs per week is a safe bet. So that’s another 120hrs.

Total time between training, travel, preparing, and recovering? At least 427hrs. Or roughly an extra 20hrs a week. In addition to the usual demands of work and family.  Normal people do not want to become an Ironman!

Finally, becoming an Ironman is an expensive proposition. Just entering the race, with insurance and pictures, is going to approach $1000. And unless the event is in your backyard you have to drive and stay and eat in a town that is booked solid and commanding top dollar for hotel rooms. So that weekend alone is going to set you back maybe $2000, including racing.

Remember all those hours of training? Such activities require fuel for your body. A lot of fuel! It was not uncommon for me to spend $25/day on the weekend on fluids such as GatorAde Endurance during activities, and PowerAde Zero or protein before and after activities, as well as solids like Strawberry Huma and Stinger Waffles during the longer sessions. Conservatively, that’s $50/week. For upwards of 24 weeks. Or a guestimate of $1200 on fuel for training.

In addition to racing costs, travel costs, and fuel costs you’re likely going to spend money (lots of money!) on hardware like your bike, your helmet, your shoes, and your swim gear. You are almost certainly going to double your grocery bill because you’re burning tens of thousands of EXTRA calories per week. And you’ll be VERY lucky if you don’t have some sort of medical costs, if only bulk purchases of Ibuprofen.

All in all, it took me several years of thinking about it, then almost 500 hours of serious preparation, and I’ll be happy if it only cost about $5000.

But, I am an Ironman! And I’m far from normal.